While the MPAA characterizes the calls for ACTA transparency as a distraction, at least two U.S. Senators do not agree. Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VI) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) have written to USTR, asking that the ACTA text be made public.
Post Tagged with: "brown"
Last week, I posted a 2008 election copyright pledge that focused on three commitments for copyright reform – respecting both creators and consumers, ensuring that any reforms do not undermine or weaken user rights such as fair dealing, and committing to full public consultations on any reforms before introducing a bill and inclusive hearings once tabled.
The initial reaction to the pledge has been very strong. I am pleased to advise that the Green Party (as a party) has agreed to the pledge. In addition, the following NDP MPs have added their names as supporters:
- Charlie Angus, New Democrat MP, Timmins-James Bay, ON
- Olivia Chow, New Democrat MP, Trinity-Spadina, ON
- Libby Davies, New Democrat MP, Vancouver East, BC
- Michael Byers, New Democrat Candidate, Vancouver Centre, BC
- Anne Lagacé Dowson, New Democrat Candidate, Westmount, QC
- Phil Brown, New Democrat Candidate, Nepean-Carleton, ON
- John Chan, New Democrat Candidate, Calgary Centre-North, AB
- Tyler Kinch, New Democrat Candidate, Calgary Centre, AB
It is great to see the momentum behind a commitment to fair copyright reform in Canada (and note that Angus has just issued a press release focusing on NDP opposition to C-61). With just under two weeks until the election, there is still time to raise the issue with local candidates. Raise it today in your riding and let me know if you receive any responses. I'll post an updated list next week. The pledge again:
UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has launched an online question period and promised to respond to video clip questions submitted via his office's YouTube page.
Sources indicate that the Parliamentary IP Caucus, co-chaired by Liberal MP Dan McTeague and Conservative Gord Brown, plan to roll out the welcome mat for the U.S. next Wednesday. The meeting includes a presentation from four representatives from the U.S. Embassy along with a pair of speakers from the Entertainment […]