The Canadian DMCA may not be introduced until next week (Tuesday is the rumoured day), but many are not waiting until the bill comes to make their views known. Over the past few days, there has been an incredible amount of action and growing media coverage. This includes:
- Letters to Prentice – many Canadians taking the time to write to their MP and Ministers Prentice and Verner. Several people have posted their letters, which may help those who want to write but are not sure where to begin. Examples here, here, here, and here. Online Rights Canada has a sample form and the Fair Copyright For Canada Facebook group has many more examples.
- Online Video – the Stop the Canadian DMCA video.
- Media coverage – coverage from ComputerWorld, CityTV (full interview here) and Rabble.ca.
- New coalitions – ConsoleSource.com has created a new page being used by many others in its industry.
- The Fair Copyright for Canada Facebook Group – launched just five days ago, the group has now surpassed 5,300 members.
There is much more to be done, but it is becoming clear that copyright matters to thousands of Canadians and attempts to fast-track a Canadian DMCA will result in significant public opposition.