BoingBoing points to a NY Times article from 1897 discussing claims from the U.S. music publisher industry about "Canadian pirates." Earlier this year, I sat on the doctoral committee of Sara Bannerman, who has written a remarkable dissertation that traces the pressure Canada faced on copyright from both the U.S. and U.K. which dates even earlier than this article.
Canadian Music Piracy Claims, Circa 1897
April 27, 2009
Tags: 1897 / bannerman / copyright / music piracy
Share this post
Episode 160: Peter Carrescia on Why Patents Won’t Solve Canada’s Innovation Problem
March 20, 2023
March 13, 2023
March 6, 2023
February 27, 2023
Episode 156: Senator Paula Simons on Why the Government Should Accept the Senate’s Bill C-11 Fix on User Content Regulation
February 13, 2023
Search Results placeholder
- The Biden Visit to Canada: Why Digital Policy is Emerging as a Serious Trade Tension
- The Government’s Fishing Expedition: Why the Bill C-18 Motion Establishes a Dangerous Precedent For Those Who Dare to Oppose Legislation
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce Warns on Government-Backed Bill C-18 Motion: “A Serious Threat to the Privacy of Canadians”
- The Law Bytes Podcast, Episode 160: Peter Carrescia on Why Patents Won’t Solve Canada’s Innovation Problem
- Government-Backed Motion Demands Disclosure of Years of Third-Party Communications With Google and Facebook in Retribution for Opposing Bill C-18
Law, Privacy and Surveillance in Canada in the Post-Snowden Era (University of Ottawa Press, 2015)
The Copyright Pentalogy: How the Supreme Court of Canada Shook the Foundations of Canadian Copyright Law (University of Ottawa Press, 2013)
From “Radical Extremism” to “Balanced Copyright”: Canadian Copyright and the Digital Agenda (Irwin Law, 2010)
In the Public Interest: The Future of Canadian Copyright Law (Irwin Law, 2005) .
“What a Pushkin, what a son of a bitch!” ^H^H..^H copyrast!
Russian poet Pushkin writing to Benkendorf in 1827 complaining about the fact that some jurisdictions still have copyright laws that permit those who publish translations to publish the original works as well.